Tue | Nov 30, 2021

Gunman eludes cops after Grants Pen shooting

Published:Wednesday | October 20, 2021 | 12:10 AMAndre Williams/Staff Reporter

Blood trails led cops to a dead end in their search for a suspected fugitive who escaped after a shoot-out on Grants Pen Drive in St Andrew yesterday morning.

The investigators could not determine whether the man, who narrowly escaped them, was shot in the firefight or injured while making good his escape.

The cops believe the man was Sean Bell, who has been found guilty in a Corporate Area court of robbery with aggravation and illegal possession of firearm and was awaiting sentencing.

Deputy Superintendent Collin Mellanese, who is in charge of operations, told The Gleaner that a Glock pistol along with several rounds of ammunition was confiscated following the gun battle about 11:15 a.m.

“He is convicted in the court … . He was supposed to be sentenced and has not turned up for court,” Mellanese said.

“On the approach of the police, he ran into a yard and the police gave chase. He opened fire at the police and the fire was returned. We have seen trail of blood, but it is not known if he was hit. None of our officers were injured,” he added.

The police say they were headed elsewhere when Bell was spotted.

Residents, however, dispute the account given by the police and said there was no shoot-out.

“Me deh pon di road and me see two unmarked cars drive up. About eight police come out and run over the yard and a bare shot,” a female resident, who said she witnessed the incident, told The Gleaner. “About five children over there and dem start run up and down paranoid. Mi a shout to the officer dem and that never stop them.”

The residents told our news team that their community, once know for sporadic violence, has been on the cooling end in recent times.

“We a one of the uptown garrison weh used to hot. Police just a pressure the people dem for nothing. Not one thing a gwan in a the place. Everybody frighten fi hear the amount of shot weh buss,” said one woman.

The police took in Bell’s spouse for questioning. A motor vehicle belonging to her was also thoroughly inspected.