News February 20 2026

Second deadly shooting in days deepens tension in Kgn East

Updated 12 hours ago 1 min read

Loading article...

Tension is rising in several communities along the Mountain View Avenue corridor in East Kingston after weeks of deadly shootings, the latest of which occurred in broad daylight on Thursday.

Police are investigating the killing of a man around 1:15 p.m. near a restaurant on the usually busy thoroughfare. He has been identified only as Robert and is said to have been employed at nearby Excelsior High School.

It is understood that Robert was on his lunch break when a car carrying armed men pulled up and opened fire in his direction. He was reportedly shot multiple times and collapsed. He was transported to hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

“A food him leave and go buy. You can’t even go buy food without looking out for gunman. A this we gone to?” a resident asked aloud at the scene. Investigators processed the scene for evidence, cordoning off sections of the roadway and causing traffic congestion Thursday afternoon.

Residents say the brazen attack has deepened fears in the community, particularly given the recent spate of violence.

“I am scared. Mi live a Mountain View years now. It’s the first in my life I feel like this. Based on what is happening, it seems the incidents are connected,” a resident told The Gleaner.

The other incident she is referring to surrounds another deadly shooting on Sligo Road on February 10.

In that late-night attack, a man identified only as Shamar, otherwise called ‘Jing Bang’, was killed and two others injured. The police are continuing their investigations into that incident.

Another resident expressed concern about the impact of the violence on children in the area.

“Right now, the pickney dem deh pon holiday, and dem afi stay inside because of the killings and shootings ... . The worse thing is that you don’t know what the violence is for so you just afi protect yuhself and stay off the street. Some people move out,” the resident said.

Attempts by The Gleaner to obtain a comment from the commander of the Kingston East Police Division, Deputy Superintendent of Police Michelle Campbell, were unsuccessful.

The Kingston East Police Division recorded four murders as at February 14, which is on par with the similar period last year.

The violence in the area has resulted in the police imposing a curfew in the area since Monday.

andre.williams@gleanerjm.com