Unlocking fatherhood with Shaun Myers of First Rock Capital
1. What is your definition of fatherhood?
Owning up to your responsibilities, and providing the best life possible for your child.
2. What was your reaction to the news that you would become a father?
I was at RIU on a staff trip when I got the call. I asked my girlfriend if she was sure she did the test right. Overall, I think I was pretty calm.
3. What is one thing every expectant dad should know in preparation for fatherhood?
The first couple months are rough! But it gets better.
4. What is the most important lesson you have learnt so far?
Don’t worry about the money. Having a child will push you to achieve more.
5. How do you balance your time to ensure the right amount of bonding with your child/children?
I don’t think I can ever get the ‘right’ amount of bonding time. But I try to leave work early sometimes, and plan things for the weekend.
6. What is your favourite activity/hobby to share with your child/children?
Travelling, going on adventures.
7. Were you involved in naming your child/children, and what are their names?
I was fortunate enough to get to choose the name. I wanted something with an African origin. My daughter’s name is Imani, which means faith.
8. What is one quality you must instil in your child/children?
Self-confidence is number one on my list, but the qualities my daughter has demonstrated, and that I admire, are bravery and her love for adventure.
9. What are some of the challenges you have faced?
Understanding the wide range of emotions that my daughter has, and being sensitive to all her needs.
10. What advice do you have for fathers?
Ensure that you are present and play an active role from the very first day. It will create a stronger bond with the child and mother.