Bon Appetit with Jamaica Pegasus
Mother’s Day is usually the perfect time to bask in the merriment of brunch or indulge in the delights of dinner. The Jamaica Pegasus hotel understands this gastronomic plight and is here to your rescue.
The hotel’s executive chef, Mark Cole, carried Food behind the culinary scenes, freshly preparing the Jamaican shrimp en croute with pumpkin risotto. See more for his scrumptious recipe. Bon appetit!
Jamaican Shrimp En Croute
10 ounces puff pastry
2 tsp chopped onion
2 tsp chopped scallion
1 tsp thyme
1lb medium shrimp
10 ounces coconut milk
½ box of heavy cream
1 large egg, beaten
1 cup of flour
1. Saute onion, scallion, thyme and Scotch bonnet in a hot skillet and add butter.
2. Add shrimp to the skillet and cook for five minutes or until the shrimp is cooked through.
3. Add salt to increase flavour.
4. Stir the heavy cream into the skillet and reduce the heat to low. Cook and stir for five minutes until the mixture is hot and bubbling.
5. On a lightly floured surface, roll each pastry sheet into a 12x12 rectangle. Cut out four rectangles out of the 12x12 sheet. Spoon the mixture of shrimp into the pastry sheets and brush egg on pastry to seal it.
6. Bake for 15 minutes.
7. Cut three slits to pastry after baked and then serve.
The total time for this recipe is 30 minutes and it serves four persons.
2 cups of cooked Arborio rice or regular white rice
6 ounces shredded pumpkin
2 tsp onion
1 peg of garlic
3 ounces Parmesan cheese
1 cup of heavy cream
1. Heat butter and oil together in a large saucepan.
2. Gently cook the onion and garlic.
3. Add the shredded pumpkin to the saucepan and saute in low heat. Add heavy cream and Parmesan cheese to the saucepan and stir lightly.
4. Add rice and keep stirring for two minutes.
Total cooking time: 10 minutes